How to make Miso Ramen (as seen on TV)





A couple of weeks ago, Heather Roberts, the co-host and producer of WCIA's ciLiving invited me to do a cooking demo on her show. I chose to showcase one of my favorite recipes -- a restaurant-quality ramen noodle soup that is so easy to make at home. 

Good soup always starts with a good broth, and this broth is made from a combination of miso paste (fermented soy beans), chicken base, and vegetable base. As with all soups, the more garlic and onions you use, the better the broth. Add some noodles, some protein, and your favorite veggies, and now you have a one-bowl meal that's both satisfying and delicious.

You can taste this soup on August 1 when I will be teaching how to make this exact recipe at one of my "Flavor Principles of Ethnic Cooking" classes at Phillips Recreation Center. Also on the menu for the evening is Tuna Tataki with Ponzu Sauce, Yakitori (Chicken on Skewers), and Ohitashi (Sesame Spinach). As with all my dinner party-style cooking classes, the tuition includes a multi-course dinner with alcoholic beverage pairings during the second half of the session when we will be eating everything that was cooked that evening. You can register for this Japanese cooking class at Urbana Park District.

Thanks to Heather Roberts for being a great host for my first time on WCIA's locally-produced lifestyle and human interest show. I'm scheduled to return to their studio kitchen later in June for another demo and I wonder what recipe I will share next? WCIA's ciLiving is broadcast every weekday at 3pm and their segments are also archived on YouTube. You can find the full recipe for my miso ramen soup and many other dishes on my website: www.cooking-with-paul.com

More information about my cooking classes and pop-up events can always be found on my website, where you'll also find over 150 recipes from my classes (no ads!). You can also subscribe to my email newsletter or follow me on Instagram or Facebook and like my posts. Bon appétit!

 

Comments